Monday, June 6, 2011

Cleansing at the Cellular Level

I have embarked on a 10-day Metabolic Detoxification designed by Metagenics. Although I’m not trying to lose weight, this program is a good precursor to losing weight because it can assist the body in removing the build-up of toxins from the fat cells that are holding onto them. It removes them from the brain and nervous system as well, which are also high in fat. This is important since toxin accumulation has been linked to a number of neurological issues, including depression, headaches, autism, and even Parkinson’s Disease or Parkinson’s-like symptoms.

So, why am I doing this? I’m giving my body this detox because I know that despite my relatively clean diet, I’m still exposed to any number of harmful chemicals everyday. According to the CDC, there are 80,000 chemicals in use in industry and commerce and several thousands of these have the potential to enter our bodies. In their most recent National Exposure Report, they tested 212 chemicals that include:

  • Acrylamide
  • Insecticides/Pesticides
  • Metals (such as arsenic, lead, mercury)
  • Parabens
  • Phthalates
  • Phytoestrogens
  • Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)

Remarkably, all 212 chemicals were found in the blood of individuals tested, suggesting that there are likely many more finding their way into our systems. And while many of these compounds are being implicated in disease, it is still unclear what sort of threat, if any, may of them pose. However, with the shear number of chemicals we're exposed to, it's easy to imagine how, at some point, our livers would become overwhelmed in their ability to neutralize and remove toxins, and thus these chemicals would begin to accumulate. So I've decided to do this detox to clean my body at the cellular level and to give my liver a fresh restart. I'll be letting you know how it goes throughout the week.

Have you ever done a detox/cleanse and how did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment