Friday, August 5, 2011

Mixing it Up

One of the things I love about my work is that I can take it with me and do it almost anywhere. For those of you who would rather “leave” your job at the end of the day, then this doesn’t apply to you.

But for some of the work I do, it mostly involves my computer and an internet connection. For my health coaching business, it also involves speaking and meeting clients in various locations, and I like to find meeting spots that have a nice atmosphere.

One of my favorite spots to do computer work lately has been along a river near a pretty bridge that is lined with flowers. I like to sit under a tree, sometimes with my lunch, and my computer. I have no internet connection while I’m there so it’s usually a good place to get some writing done without distractions. I’ve also been known to spread a blanket on the grass and plop down with my green or red juice to do my work, as seen in the picture.

Why do I go to all this trouble to go to different places and why do I enjoy it so much? Because I love the novelty of places that are new to me. The new sights, sounds, smells, food, people, and even animals (sometimes bugs : ). They awaken my senses and gets neurons firing in the brain, establishing new connections. This is essential for the creative process and literally does keep me awake, alert, and full of energy.

As I mentioned in my last newsletter, there’s something powerful that happens when you can leave the confines of the four walls to spread out your energy into an open space. And I make it a point to mix it up when I can to keep my mind fresh.

What are some of the things you like to do to stay stimulated and alert? Even if you don’t have the luxury of changing your work atmosphere?

No comments:

Post a Comment