Do you love avocado? I do! And despite the bad press they’ve gotten because of their high fat content, there are lots of good reasons to eat them. Here are some for you to consider:
- They’re a rich source of antioxidants, including the carotenoids alpha- and beta-carotene and lutein;
- They're loaded with vitamins and minerals as shown here;
- They’re high in oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat prevalent in olive oil that helps to lower the risk of heart disease;
- They contain omega-3 fatty acids and help to control inflammation;
- When added to nutrient-rich salads, they help to boost nutrient absorption from the other vegetables, such as lycopene found in tomatoes;
- They’re a good source of fiber and low in carbohydrates, so they help to stabilize blood sugar levels;
Their mild flavor and creamy texture goes well with just about everything! Mash and spread them on toast, add them to salads, use them as mayonnaise on sandwiches, eat them with eggs, and mix them into salsa and gazpacho (you’ll boost the absorption of all that veggie power!). Here is a recipe for a gazpacho that I love to make during the summer. It’s quick, cool, and easy and loaded with flavor, fiber, and health promoting goodness!
For more information, check out The World's Healthiest Foods. How will you eat your avocado today??