Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fresh Chopped Salad

I went into New York City today for an afternoon seminar and stopped for lunch at Fresh & Co. on 7th Avenue. Of course the restaurant was packed with people. They were serving up sandwiches, fresh soups, personalized pastas and chopped salads.

It’s a brilliant idea, really. You order the type of salad you want, a server puts it together in a bowl, then you move onto the next station where someone pours the salad onto a cutting board and using a rocker blade, chops it into small pieces. Then it gets transferred into a large bowl, gets tossed with dressing, and goes back into the original bowl.

I’ve had custom-made salads before, but the chopping step is a great idea because it eliminates the need for cutting while eating. As I wrote in a previous blog, I’ve been experimenting with ways to cut and prepare vegetables and I frequently chop them small either for sautéing, adding to other dishes, or putting in salads. I think it’s a great way of getting more vegetables into your diet or even getting kids to eat more of them.

By the way, just as the name says, today’s salad was super fresh and very tasty and the weather was scorching today, so it was a perfect light meal. I would go back there again for a quick lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment