Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's In the Way That You Use It

I talk a lot about the benefits of eating an abundance and a variety of fruits and vegetables. But let’s face it, there are probably a few out there that you may not like so much and simply avoid. For me, believe it or not, one of them is broccoli. I will not eat it raw and it’s OK when steamed with lemon and a bit of butter, but I have to make a conscious effort to buy and prepare it.

Another vegetable over the years that I’ve tolerated but not really had a taste for is radishes. I love the bright red/pink skins and the fact that they’re juicy, but biting into one or having chunks of them in my salad doesn’t excite me all that much. However, for whatever reason, I’ve discovered that I adore radishes when they’re sliced paper-thin. In fact, I could eat an entire plate of them when prepared this way.

What’s the difference between a whole or chopped versus slice of radish? The only thing I can think of is the combination of taste and texture with some foods makes all the difference. I’ve found this with other vegetables as well, such as cabbage and even zucchini which I love raw now. The bottom line is, any ways that I can find to enjoy my vegetables more, I’ll try them and I’m frequently experimenting with vegetables now to find the best ways to eat them. This may be a good strategy to get your kids to try new vegetables as well.

I guess I should get to work on the broccoli! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment