Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Box in My Shopping Cart

OK, after going on yesterday about how much better it is to buy whole, natural foods that don’t come in packages or with labels, I’m going to confess here that there was a box of something in my grocery cart today: Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Cereal. This is one of my few exceptions. It’s similar to Grape Nuts in texture (do you remember Euell Gibbons?), yet it has some very distinctive and special features:

It is made without flour of any kind. Rather than ground flour that is stripped of vital nutrients, the cereal is made from sprouted grains and legumes. The sprouting process amplifies the nutritional value and makes the proteins and carbohydrates more easily digestible.

It is slowly baked to preserve as much of the healthy goodness as possible. Why go to the trouble of sprouting if you’re going to kill all the beneficial enzymes and nutrients? The gentle baking process helps to maintain the value of the ingredients.

It’s simple. There are no added preservatives, no refined sugar, and nothing artificial. It’s not even supplemented with vitamins or minerals. Since the grains and legumes are whole (actually better than whole after sprouting), there’s no need for fortification. The only added ingredients are water during the sprouting process and sea salt. It’s that simple.

It’s a complete protein source. The combination of grains and legumes provides all the essential amino acids we need in our diets.

To eat it, I’ll usually add almond or hemp milk, nuts, seeds, and sometimes a little dried fruit. I’ll have it cold or lightly warmed. It fills me up and keeps me satisfied for several hours.

What’s in your favorite “healthy” box? I’d love to know…

No comments:

Post a Comment