Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Keeping it Simple

I’m big on simplifying things and I’ve written before about ways to do that, with personal care products, for example. This can also apply to food and our diets and is a particularly good idea if we want to maintain healthy eating habits in the midst of overwhelming schedules.

So how do we do this? Well, we plan and cook ahead. Here’s one example. Last week, I made a large batch of plain quinoa that I kept in the fridge. And then it became the focus of several very simple meals.

For lunch one day, I mixed it with avocado, organic strawberries, fresh-squeezed lemon juice and olive oil. And that was lunch. It was simple and delicious. I also mixed it with warm nut milk, nuts, seeds, and cinnamon for a hearty breakfast. Then I combined it with leftover butternut squash, chopped kale, bit of vegetable broth and some seasonings for a warm dish.

Keep a few healthy staples on hand and ready to eat and you’ll never have an excuse to eat poorly. It’s also better for the digestion and less likely that you’ll over eat when you keep your meals simple. Ever eaten a dozen different dishes from a buffet and felt awful afterwards? I’ve been there and the aftermath is no fun.

What are some of your favorite simple meals? Share them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment